Monday, February 6, 2017

A Way With Words

The problem with being a writer is people expect you to have a way with words.  The thing is, I really don't.  On many occasions, I'm completely at a loss for words.  Because I want to choose precisely the right words that fit the situation.  Mostly because I find words are paramount, integral and influential, and I don't want to mince or waste them.  And I can't come up with insight on something without lots of time alone reflecting and carefully, hand selecting words.  I much prefer to reserve commentary until I have something substantive to say.

The point is, I really try to express myself thoughtfully. 
With intention. 

But, there's currently a war of words raging.  Between those who believe in thoughtful, artisanal expression and those who believe being authentic is saying the first thing that comes to mind.  And I see the latter more and more in our culture now that we've elected a president who specializes in this  reactionary and often contradictory commentary.   

How did we get here?

I really wish I had the answer to this question.  I wake up every morning wondering. And feeling sick to my stomach.  How did we get to a point where someone who blatantly and consistently exaggerates, distorts and disrespects both people and facts with his words, simply by repeating them loudly over and over could become the voice of our nation?  How did we let this happen?

But, the bigger question is where do we go from here?

In a culture fluent in emoji, but short on words.  Where more people watch the movie version rather than read the book.  Where we confuse reality TV shows for reality when they're really just images spliced together, often scripted, for entertainment.      

We use our words.  

In peaceful protest.  With intention.  In our community.  On the phone.  In print.  On social media.  And most importantly, by being kind and thoughtful to strangers no matter which side of the war on words they're on.  For the love of humanity, let's make having a way with words relevant again.  






3 comments:

troutbirder said...

What a thoughtful post. Brings to my mind the first time I saw Bill O'Reilly. I was in the TV section of a Big Box Store where an unknown to me person was "interviewing" someone. I remember thinking "my mom would like this man he is really rude." It was glimpse into the future. How sad... and dangerous.

Marie Loerzel said...

@troutbirder- Ugh...Bill O'Reilly! What a premonition.

Joy Page Manuel said...

I know I've been saying this a lot lately, but I seem unable to find any other words than 'I love this!'. I do mean that, Marie. I could say, 'terrific', 'great, just great', but somehow I feel nauseous when I write or utter those. Anyway, I'm with you on everything you wrote.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...