Thursday, August 14, 2014

Teenage Dream

Image from:  www.relationship-economy.com
It's dangerously close to the end of summer. And you know how near the end of anything that thing seems to become nearly intolerable.  Like my kids on summer break.  The complaining, the fighting.  the angst and the need to be chauffeured in opposite directions of town at the same exact time. But, that's not the worst of it.  The worst is two little seemingly innocent words that enrage me beyond words.

 "I know." 

My house is a barrage of 'I knows'.  From morning until night.  Miraculously, my kids know everything.  It's true.  However, they don't do anything with all this 'knowing'.  So while they constantly parrot, "I know", I constantly parrot back another two words. "Show me".  

But they never do.

It's frustrating as hell and a legacy handed down from generation to generation.  I remember delivering the same words, with the same definitive, degrading snark to my mom.  Absolutely positive that she was an idiot, who didn't understand anything.  Exactly like my kids do to me.  

KARMA IS SUCH A BITCH.

I wish I could tell my mom how sorry I am I was such a pain in the ass teenager.
Because I now have pain is the ass teenagers of my own.
And I'm positive she'd simply say, "I know." 

5 comments:

joeh said...

The teen years are natures way of softening the blow when they leave you.

Janine Ripper said...

Isn't it just crazy shit!

Muriel said...

What scares me the most is that I am turning into my mom. I can't believe it!

Sine said...

YES! That about sums it all up.

Leah Griffith said...

My heart goes out to you, dear. It's been years since my kids were teens, yet somehow they still manage to annoy the shit out of me. It never ends. Never.
Just a cheery note to make your day;)
Missing you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...