Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Sword and the Family Stone



If there's one thing I really want to learn to do, it's belly dance with a flaming sword on my head. Seriously, how cool is that? Well, actually it's kinda hot. But, my instructor doesn't teach flaming sword. Nor am I ready for the potential maiming and third degree burns that I imagine may accompany it. Yet. But I'm sure with practice and no regard for my own safety amidst my klutziness, I can get there. What I need to do is take it step by step.

Step one. I must find something to balance on my head in lieu of a sword. Because, although all my kids have asked for, priced and shopped for swords. We're pretty sure one or more of them would wind up decapitated if we actually owned one. But, what I do have is a back scratcher from that tropical itch I had when I lived in Hawaii.

Please. How easy will it be to belly dance with a back scratcher on my head? Come on. Totally easy.



Ok, the problem is that I put shine gel in my hair this morning before I put it up. Obviously this made my hair extremely slippery. A little hair spray to make it tacky will solve the problem.



So that didn't really work much better. It's probably because my hair's thin. Clearly I need thicker hair for this. Rogaine? Hair-club-women-who-wanna-be-flaming-sword-belly-dancers?

No, I need a quick solution.



Maybe that was just the wrong wig.



Or maybe, just maybe it's me. And who am I kidding? I'm just everyday people. And, I'm pretty sure the afro is a huge fire hazard. Dude, I just want to dance to the music. Wait, does Sly and the Family Stone need a dancer?

7 comments:

Cerebrations.biz said...

Very impressive with the wig...
Now, I think it's more Cher than Sly, but what do I know?

(BTW- I was impressed with the 10 seconds without the wig!)

Chantel said...

I was so waiting for you to come back with duct tape or a ribbon tied under your chin.

And laard, lady--for a gal with a crew of kids, yer all hot 'n stuff! lol Now pondering belly dancing lessons....

Krisztina Clifton said...

Ha ha!!! Omg, I'm dying. You are too funny. I say go for it w/the flaming sword! Well, maybe not. I'm sure your hair would catch fire!

Miss Footloose | Life in the Expat Lane said...

Belly dancing, me too! I bought some DVDs and tried it and got so busy practicing I couldn't sit or stand the next day because my muscles got such a work out.

shari said...

Personally, I think you did rather well. It is much more difficult to balance something that doesn't have much weight to it. I think you would find that dancing with a balanced sword is a little better, because you can actually feel where it is. however, the weight of it also makes make it a little scarier when it falls. Not to mention the pointy part and the slicey part.

There are a few tricks to the trade. But I cannot post them publicly. Belly dancers oath. ;-)

Marie Loerzel said...

Shari-Phew now I'll have to find a sword and a belly dancer to swear me in.

Cynthia Meents said...

Personally I admire you just for being brave enough to put up video of yourself belly dancing. I've been trying to learn with a couple DVDs, but I won't even do it with anyone else in the house!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...